Willamette Randonneurs is a group of randonneurs and those interested in randonneuring in the southern Willamette Valley and surrounding areas. Willamette Randonneurs was formed in late 2016, with our first official season in calendar year 2017.
The regional brevet admistrator (RBA) for our region is Michal Young.
Informal news and announcements often appear in our Facebook group Eugene Area Randonneurs or on our Facebook page Willamette Randonneurs. For those who prefer email forums to Facebook, I will do my best to cross post to our will-rando group, and to respond to posts there.
Randonneuring, also known as audax, is long-distance, mostly unsupported cycling. (more)
COVID special measures spring 2021
After a hiatus, we believe we can again safely hold brevets beginning in April 2021. We are closely monitoring conditions in Oregon counties, and will make adjustments (or in the worst case, shut down again) if we believe that we cannot do so safely. In the meantime, here are measures we will adopt.
- Riders must register 24 hours before the event. This is so that we will have an accurate count of riders and can arrange a staggered start if necessary. There will be no day-of-event registration.
- If the number of registered riders is large, we will arrange a staggered start. When you register, please provide a telephone number at which we could reach you to arrange a start time if necessary.
- Riders should ride alone or in groups no larger than three.
- Riders must wear a mask at the start, and carry the mask with them and wear it when entering any establishment on the ride.
- Electronic proof of passage (GPX file, RWGPS or Strava link) is encouraged. Photos will also be accepted. If you prefer information controls, let me know to print a brevet card for you. Otherwise you will be given a cue sheet but no brevet card.
- We will attempt to choose routes that make it possible to minimize contact with persons out-of-area. In some cases we will arrange drop bag service to reduce the need to shop and dine indoors.
- There will be no gathering after the ride. If you have requested a brevet card for info controls, please call the organizer about 30 minutes before your finish to arrange a safe handoff.
March events were canceled, but we plan to hold events starting in April and hopefully reschedule some later in the season. We will continue to monitor COVID danger levels and make adjustments as needed.
|Sat Apr 3|| ACP 200k brevet.
7:30am start outside Full City Coffee, 842 Pearl Street, Eugene.
Five Rivers 200k (ACP).
Eugene to Walterville, Sweet Home, Lebanon, Brownsville, Eugene.
Special measures in effect to minimize spread of virus: All controls are photo controls or electronic proof of passage. Minimize exposure in communities we pass through. Bring a drop bag with lunch to the start; it will be delivered to you in Lebanon. We will not have our usual sit-down meal at the Safeway, nor a sit down-meal at the end. Register by Friday noon. $8 charge.
|Sat Apr 17||RUSA populaire (100k). Lunch in Veneta. 8:30am start in front of Wandering Goat Coffee, 268 Madison St, Eugene 97402. Register by 4pm Friday.|
|Sat May 22||ACP 200km brevet, Alsea Loop. 7:30am start in front of Market of Choice, 29th and Willamette, Eugene. Registration is open. This replaces the Umpqua 300 for 2021. We hope to premier the Umpqua 300 in 2022.|
|Sat Jun 19||Smith River 300k and Smith River 600k go through Florence and Reedsport, returning on Smith River Road. 300k returns over Wolf Creek to Eugene. 600k continues east to Cottage Grove then north to the overnight in Eugene, then north through Brownsville to Independence and back to Eugene. Near solstice for maximum daylight. Register by Thursday, June 17.|
|Fri Jul 23||ACP 400k brevet (evening start). Near the full moon. Note: As SIR has rescheduled flèche northwest for this weekend, I am investigating the possibility of moving our 400k to a later date.|
Due to the Corona virus pandemic, rides in summer 2020 were canceled.
|Sat Feb 22||RUSA populaire (100k). Lunch in Veneta.|
|Sun Mar 8||RUSA populaire (100k). International Women's Day.|
|Sat Mar 21||Five Rivers 200k (ACP).|
||Colliding Rivers 200k (ACP). Sutherlin to Glide and return. Route (designed by James Taylor).|
||Evening start 100k RUSA populaire. (Fléche tuneup opportunity.)|
||Fléche weekend ( Seattle International Randonneurs)|
|Sun May 24|
|Sat Jun 6|
|Sat Jun 20|
|Sat Jul 18|
|Fri Jul 31|
|Sun Feb 24||RUSA populaire (100k). (Canceled due to weather)|
|Sat Mar 9||Five Rivers ACP 200k brevet.|
|Sat Mar 30||Cottage Grove — Umpqua Loop ACP 200k. Begins and ends in Cottage Grove and loops south through Drain, Yoncalla, and Tyee, along the Umpqua river, returning north through Sutherlin.|
|Sat May 25||Evening start 400k (with Monday holiday to recover). Loop north to Forest Grove, beginning and ending in downtown Eugene.|
|Sat Jun 8||Smith River ACP 600K. Two loops from downtown Eugene. The first loop will be to Florence, along the coast south to Reedsport, back in via Smith River Road and continuing to Lorane and Cottage Grove, then north to Eugene, about 360k. Second loop will be north to Brownsville, Lebanon, Independence, then south through Albany, Harrisburg, Coburg back to Eugene, about 240k. 5am Saturday start from Mandy's 24-hour diner in downtown Eugene.|
|Sat Jun 22||Smith River ACP 300k. A 300km (187 mile) loop from Eugene to Florence via Triangle Lake, south to Reedsport, returning over Smith River Road and Wolf Creek to Eugene, with a staffed control at Oxbow Summit. 5am Saturday start from Mandy's 24-hour diner in downtown Eugene. Finish is at Falling Sky until it closes at 11pm, then at Mandy's.|